May 26, 2009

Animal Testing, Yes or No?

For John Hopkins magazine on whether or not it would be ethical to bio-engineer an lab animal that didn't feel pain. Art director was Pamela Li.

Here's the roughs. I risked pushing the colored one, but I needed to see if I could get close enough to pulling it off. Luckily Pam liked it as well.

Here's the tight drawing, after a dozen re-drawings trying to get the black rabbits legs right.
After looking at reference photos of rabbits confined in little "stocks", I decided to crop in on the space also.

I actually ended up doing two versions of the final, because I felt the texture in the first one, on the left was distracting. What do you think?

2 comments:

pete ryan said...

i prefer the right. nice solution

Alex Nabaum said...

thanks Pete! so did I.